Monday, August 10, 2009

Cell Phones in the Classroom

Like it or not, the use of cell phones are only growing more popular. I didn't purchase my first cell phone until I got to college in 1998. The phone was a size of a walkie talkie and the screen was a tint greenish yellow color (picture dying grass as Winter nears). A lot has changed since then and I'm seeing more and more children of every age with their own cell phone.

So here we are today, a cell phone store on every corner and a cell phone tower practically on every building. As children spend more and more time on their cell phones, schools are faced to how to deal with this technology.

I came across an interesting article that highlights a Texas 5th grade classroom and how they are using cell phones to the teacher's advantage. I would encourage you to read the article and let me know your thoughts: "Mobile Technology Goes to School"

Should schools embrace this technology and use it as an affective instructional tool? Or should schools restrict cell phones and keep them at home? I want to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. Great Post Al! Thanks for all the great info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the cell phone should be used in the classroom. There are enough instructional tools that can involve the entire classroom. I had no idea schools were even using them. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see the problem with cell phones being allowed in schools. We have rules for everything else in schools; timeliness, food, speaking out of turn--set up some rules about cell phones (since everyone's going to bring them anyway) and use their potential as an instructional tool! Similarly to how we now use TI graphing calculators as required tools in math classes, let's toss the technophobic luddite culture in our educational system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of kids extending the use of cell phones/texting/social networking etc. not only for social reasons but also for tasks such as education - after all we are needing to learn to communicate this way in the business world for business purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recent research has shown the empirical evidence for globalization of corporate innovation is very limited.
    And as a corollary, the market for technologies is shrinking.
    As a world leader, it is important for America to provide systematic research grants for our scientists.
    I believe there will always be a need for us to have a well-articulated innovation policy with emphasis on human resource development.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete